More meaningless but useful pieces of information regarding cooking, the kitchen, weights and measures and of course manners.
If you have question concerning on any of the above subjects please feel free to comment and we will answer because we really are smart.
1. If you scorch milk by accident, put the pan in cold water and add a pinch of salt. It will take away the burned taste.
2. When boiling milk, first stir in a pinch of baking soda. This will help keep the milk from curdling.
3. Tasty flavored whipped cream: First whip cream then add 2 tablespoons of flavored jello and continue beating on slow until the whipped cream is right consistency.
4. Leftover ham: Lay ham slices in a baking dish then cover with maple syrup. Refrigerate overnight then fry the ham in butter the next morning.
5. Add a slice of lemon to peeled sweet potatoes while cooking. The lemon will help them clear and free of discoloration.
6. Fill a large hole or sugar shaker with flour and use that when needing to dust surfaces with flour or just pour out a tablespoon, as you need it, this is handy way to keep a bit of flour on hand instead of digging in the flour bin.
7. Use pastry wheel to cut rolled cookie dough in squares or diamonds, much less rolling and very pretty.
8. Rinse measuring cup in hot water before using syrup, oil, etc. Will pour out clean and not stick to cup.
9. Canned fruit is much better if opened and removed from the can an hour or two before using to restore the oxygen.
10. A wire cheese cutter is ideal for cutting chilled refrigerator cookie dough.